17 Oct 2003
Including news from Cree, Osram Opto Semiconductors, DALSA and more.
• Cree, US, has announced a first quarter revenue of $66.2 million, a 36% increase year-on-year. Net income also rose to $8.88 million, compared with the $3.88 million reported in the first fiscal quarter of 2003. “We continue to experience strong demand for our LED products for use in mobile appliances and other backlighting applications,” said Chuck Swoboda, Cree’s president and chief executive officer.
• Osram Opto Semiconductors has named Three-Five Systems (TFS) as is its exclusive engineering services and OLED marketing partner in the US. TFS will now add three of Osram’s OLED modules into its standard display products.
• DALSA has reported its preliminary third quarter financial results. The Canadian imaging giant expects its quarterly revenue to be in the range C$32.8 million to $33.2 million. The company expects a strong performance from its semiconductor business but said that results in its digital imaging sector were below target. Crucially though, DALSA says it was cash-flow positive throughout the quarter.
• Jenoptik Laser Optik Systeme has officially opened its so-called digital imaging competence center in Jena, Germany. The center houses all of the company’s digital camera development, production and distribution activities.
• The United States District Court in Texas has ruled that Rokonet Industries USA wilfully infringed a patent belonging to Fresnel Technologies, a developer of passive-infrared motion sensors. The patent involved in the dispute (US RE 35,534) refers to a Fresnel lens design. Fresnel Technologies was awarded an undisclosed sum to cover its attorney fees and costs. An injunction prohibiting further infringement of the patent has also been issued.
• Transmode Systems of Sweden, a developer of transmission equipment used in optical networks, has completed a $10million financing round led by private equity firm Pod Holding. Transmode has now secured $28million of investment since 2000.
|© 2023 SPIE Europe||