Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This is an hourly production position at the Thorlabs Ultrafast Optoelectronics (UFO) division in Ann Arbor, MI. The primary responsibility is to assemble and test opto-electronic instruments that contain precision optical, mechanical, and electronic components. This person will be a key member of our LEAN manufacturing operation and will also be responsible for activities that support the growth of a new manufacturing environment.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Be able to read, understand, and follow written assembly and test instructions.
- Assemble and test optical, electrical, and mechanical components of varying sizes and complexity.
- Assemble and test precision fiber-optic components and instruments.
- Work with the aid of a stereo microscope (requires excellent eye-hand coordination)
- Work with standard solvents, glues, and adhesives found in assembly environments.
- Solder and de-solder small electronic components.
- Cross-train on multiple work cells employing different skill sets.
- Work to the highest of quality standards while meeting production standards.
- Provide QA and QC function at all stages of production.
- Be familiar with inventory principles.
- Comfortable with standard Microsoft programs: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Solder and de-solder electronic components including fine pitch SMT parts.
- Work to the highest of quality standards and set example for others.
- Train assemblers to produce high-precision opto-electronic products.
- Provide expert support, development, and training for all soldering processes.
- Knowledge of how production floor is manages by MRP systems.
- Assist in the progression of new products from engineering to production.
- > 3 yrs. experience in precision assembly, production environment
- Experience with soldering electronic parts on PCBs
- Work with fiber optics and/or other optical components
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Be detail oriented, highly organized, & enjoy following & developing processes.
- Ability to identify electronic components & other small parts
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law