Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is seeking an electro-optic Mechanical Test Engineer to participate in the development and manufacturing of next generation semiconductor lasers. You will be responsible for the mechanical design and implementation of production test/manufacturing stations as well as developing control software to verify operation of the station. Mechanical Test Engineers work directly with mechanical engineers, software test engineers, manufacturing personnel, and other electro-optic engineers to ensure that designs and manufacturing techniques will yield products which meet the customer’s specifications.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize and design electro-optic test systems and fixtures
- Prototype, develop, test & qualify new test systems for use in manufacturing
- Create budgets and schedules for these new developments
- Maintain documentation for the system development process
- Create assembly and test work instructions; train personnel
- Specify & purchase all parts and equipment required; interact with vendors
- Experience using 2D and 3D CAD design tools such as Solidworks
- Experience in automation of various pieces of test equipment and/or motion control.
- Experience optoelectronic circuits and optical test equipment is a plus
- Hands-on experience in the photonics industry, laser or physics lab is a plus.
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Optical Systems Engineering or related field(s) is required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Tool and fixture making experience is a plus
- Thorough understanding of a software develop environment such as Labview, .Net, or similar
- Problem resolution skills for debugging new designs and assemblies
- Manual dexterity to assemble and align precision opto-mechanical systems
- Soldering / Circuit Design Experience is a plus.
- High attention to details
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment
- Ability to function autonomously with little direction/works well independently of others
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.