Senior Staff Process Development Engineer
|Coherent, Richmond, CA, United States|
At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
We are looking for an experienced Process Development Engineer to join our optical fabrication and assembly team based in Richmond, California, approximately 30 minutes northeast of San Francisco. Our Coherent Tinsley Optics product line delivers custom high-precision aspheric optics and opto-mechanical assemblies for a variety of specialized applications including flat-panel display manufacturing, ground and space-based telescopes, defense systems, and other exotic scientific and government-sponsored programs. Specific responsibilites include:
- Develops and applies optical fabrication processes for the manufacturing of ultra-precision optical components and assemblies.
- Responsible for leading process development efforts that expand capabilities, improve yield, and reduce cycle time.
- Participates in new product introduction by developing cost-efficient designs and processes for new products.
- Trends and analyzes production data. Develops, sustains, and improves manufacturing methods to improve efficiency and yield.
- Supports new business opportunities with cost estimates, quotations, process flows, and other analysis.
- Assists in the process of drafting and releasing manufacturing procedures.
- Acts as manufacturing lead for new programs or processes that require an additional level of complexity beyond our standard production processes.
- Improves manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- Mentors and trains junior engineers in technical skills and processes related to precision optics manufacturing.
Education and Work Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have a BS or MS in engineering and over 8 years' of experience in optical fabrication and engineering.
- Candidate should have a strong background in establishing and maintaining efficient manufacturing work flow. Candidate should also have a proven record of timely and effective manufacturing solutions.
- Experience with the implementation and use of manufacturing execution systems is a plus.
- Strong communication, planning, and interpersonal skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.