Staff Product Manufacturing Engineer
|Coherent, Portland, OR, United States|
At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
Coherent is one of the world’s leading suppliers of laser and laser-based solutions to a broad range of commercial and scientific research customers - designing, manufacturing and marketing lasers, laser-based systems, and related accessories for a diverse group of customers and markets. Since 1966, Coherent has expanded through a combination of internal growth and the strategic acquisition of related companies. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent is home to the most talented professionals in the industry.
Come join the brightest and largest team in the business to help continue taking Coherent laser solutions into future generations!
We currently have a need for a Staff Product Manufacturing Engineer, a high-profile and key role, in our Laser Systems and Measurement (LSM) Group located in Wilsonville, Oregon, just minutes south of Portland. LSM designs and manufactures precision solid state lasers for scientific, medical, instrumentation and vision markets, as well as calibrated laser measurement systems for a wide variety of laser type and power applications providing critical technology to thousands of global customers with a wide range of products specifically tailored to satisfy demanding customer requirements.
To be successful in this role the ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas: Laser Photonics, New Product Introduction (NPI), and Project Management.
- Leading and supporting new product introduction preparation and execution. Providing ongoing product design support necessary to improve product quality and cost.
- Collaborating with design engineering in coordinating the release of new products from design-phase into production.
- Diagnosing and debugging product and manufacturing issues with corrective action implementation.
- Interfacing with Product Line Managers and lead the release of limited design product variants in operations.
- Ensuring the timely communication of assigned project progress through a weekly formal presentation of key metrics, project schedules and action item lists.
- Estimating manufacturing cost, determining time standards, and making recommendations for tooling and process requirements of new product lines.
- Reviewing BOM structures and submitting changes required to structure for optimal manufacturing effectiveness, coordinating with planners, buyers and production management.
- Proposing and justifying capital and expense expenditures necessary to provide new production capability. Assisting forecasting capital and expense requirements in advance of need.
Education and Work Experience:
- B.S. or B.Eng degree in Optics, Physics, or related Engineering disciplines
- 6 years’ experience with Lasers, optics, optoelectronics or other Photonic technologies
- 10 years’ experience in Product, Manufacturing or NPI Engineering
- Hands-on experience with optical alignment, opto-mechanical assembly and test, including the use of optical and electrical photonics test equipment.
- Experience in product transitions into both high mix and volume production environments
- Experience supporting off-shore or contract manufacturing partners and suppliers
- Experience leading cross functional NPI teams with proven project management skills using phase-gate product development processes.
- Understanding of Optical, mechanical, and electronic engineering concepts. Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, interpret tolerances, define lean work flows and create value stream maps.
- Strong self-starter with experience managing multiple projects with accountability and ownership.
- Knowledge and understanding of design for manufacturability across a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of MRP planning systems and Bill of Material structures. Oracle expertise preferred.
- Data analysis and reporting, able to use data gathering and reporting tools to prepare informational reports and analysis.
- Structured problem solving and strong communication skills
- Understanding of lean tools, 5S methodologies and production capacity planning methods.
- Ability to set up and use statistical process control methods.
- Effective procedure development and documentation skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.