Date Announced: 13 Feb 2013
New Series Builds on IPG's Unequalled Fiber Laser Experience Providing Customers Better Value and Extending Available Applications
San Francisco, CA, February 4, 2013 -- IPG Photonics Corporation, the world leader in high-power fiber lasers, announced at Photonics West a new generation of Kilowatt class low-mode Ytterbium fiber lasers offering lower cost per watt of laser power, operating expenses and service requirements. Leveraging its experience from delivering thousands of Kilowatt fiber lasers to commercial customers over a decade of time, the improved 1060 nm laser from IPG offers customers exceptionally simple operation and extends the range of applications for fiber lasers.
"This year, we celebrate the tenth anniversary of our introduction of the first Kilowatt class fiber lasers." said Dr. Valentin P. Gapontsev, CEO of IPG Photonics and inventor of the high power fiber laser. "Drawing from our deep experience from more than 5,000 Kilowatt class fiber lasers in demanding industrial applications, our new generation of fiber lasers improves upon IPG's industry-leading product performance, reliability and low cost of ownership. We used our newest internally developed component base and our deep knowledge of fiber laser technology to create these new laser products." Dr. Gapontsev continued, "our goal was to create products suitable for a much broader range of applications than now, including various applications currently served by non-laser technologies. Our new lasers allow both existing and new customers to derive significant benefits, while expanding the available markets for IPG lasers."
Designated as the YLS-xxx-Y13 series, the new lasers offer customers lower operating costs and service requirements over IPG's current best-in-class lasers. The main benefits include increased wall plug efficiency (up to 33% from 28-30%), up to two times average improvement in beam quality and an increase in the estimated mean time of uninterrupted laser operation from the current one and one-half years to greater than three years. As a result of the many technological improvements and increased reliability, IPG now offers for this series an industry-leading three-year warranty, an upgrade from the current two-year warranty.
The customer benefits stem from the many technological improvements over IPG's existing high performance products. These new improvements include:
• New higher power diode modules,
• New fiber block design with 3X increase in damage power threshold, resulting in increased reliability,
• New basic line of basic single-mode fiber modules with higher power and efficiency,
• New internally developed and manufactured modular digital power supplies with higher efficiency and enhanced unparalleled redundancy features,
• New digital laser diode current drivers with increased control flexibility, stability and precision,
• New control system allowing integrated control of both laser and process subsystem,
• New generation of compact multichannel beam switches, hermetically sealed for enhanced reliability,
• New sealed laser cabinet design allowing for more reliable laser operation in extreme operating conditions,
• New innovative high performance process heads for welding, cutting and remote welding applications.
Web Site: www.ipgphotonics.com