Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Cloud Services Engineer will be responsible for IT cloud services and its delivery to end users. The position will manage cloud services, communication, collaborations, and applications services. This position will work overseeing the global cloud services needs and work closely with System, Network, and SOC teams to design, deploy and maintain the service and their levels as needed by business and production needs. The position will also work with other technology teams to provide integration, compliance and ensure continuity of these services. The cloud services include but are not limited to all communications, collaboration and shared service provided by Microsoft and other third-party solution providers.
Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively proposing, designing, and implementing innovative cloud solutions particularly within the Microsoft365 suite.
- Manage day to day activity of Cloud services in particular the Microsoft365 environment (Intune, Exchange Online, Defender for Endpoint, etc).
- Develop and refine Microsoft365 solutions roadmap for continuous improvement, innovation, evolution, and system/service replacement in line with the business and IT strategy.
- Assist in the technical planning and delivery of global Cloud Services solutions projects, providing technical direction and guidance to internal and external teams.
- Oversee all technical aspects of all global endpoint solutions projects and lifecycle management (Intune)
- Act as technical authority on Microsoft365 and related cloud technologies.
- Assist in developing and designing of Cloud Services Infrastructure and documentation.
- Develop plans for upgrades, expansions, and improvement of the existing Cloud Services Infrastructure
- Design and implement highly available and redundant Cloud Services Infrastructure.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd tier troubleshooting support of issues related to Cloud Services Infrastructure across platform as it relates to Applications and Services.
- Escalation and Management of issues with Cloud Services and Service Providers.
- Work with local/remote teams to support the delivery, deployment, and operation of Cloud Services.
- Proactive development of monitoring solutions for Cloud Services Infrastructure.
- Ensures that security standards, practices, and policies are incorporated into all Cloud Services Infrastructure.
- Design and Develop automation to reduce failures, manual tasks and therefore improving overall service performance, stability, and availability.
- Ability to develop Reports and Dashboards that can help with cost management of Cloud Services and budgets.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- 5-8 years’ experience of strong Enterprise-level system administration and engineering.
- 3-5 years of proven work experience designing, deploying, and managing Enterprise-class cloud solutions (Azure/M365/AWS/Google etc.).
- At least 2 years administering a Microsoft365 tenant of at least ~2000 users (EXO, Intune, OneDrive, etc.).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent fields in IT or equivalent experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive technical experience configuring Cloud IS Infrastructure and Platforms.
- Extensive technical experience of Microsoft365 platform in particular Intune and policy management.
- Extensive experience in Cloud Services and Delivery Technologies.
- Extensive experience with virtualization and datacenter technologies.
- Knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure solutions (Citrix/AVD etc).
- Extensive knowledge of Directory, Policies, and automation services.
- Extensive knowledge of Directory Services in a hybrid configuration.
- Experience with Data Protection, Retention and Cloud Storage technologies.
- Experience with Disaster recovery design and solutions.
- Experience with implementing patch/update management solutions.
- Experience with Cloud System monitoring solutions.
- Demonstrable understanding of PowerShell: Scripting, M365 management and tool development.
- Consultative skills, including the ability to understand business requirements, identify risks and make recommendations for best practice design.
- Ability to document and conduct knowledge transfer to internal staff.
- Solid project management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Self-starter requiring minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities and requirements.
- Experience with standard change management and configuration policies.
- Experience with Cost Management and analysis.
- Occasional global travel required supporting corporate offices.
- Occasional weekend maintenance