Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
The Quality Manager is responsible for supporting the implementation and management of the Thorlabs Quality Management System. The position also manages direct reports within the Quality Assurance Department and is responsible for employee performance management and hiring of employees within the department. Although the location of the position is in Jessup, MD, the position involves occasional (<10%) travel to other Thorlabs or vendor locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Maintain site audit readiness and support Customer, ISO, and other related agency inspections.
- Lead cross functional teams (including operations, engineering and senior management) in support of continuous improvement as well as necessary corrective actions.
- Lead management reviews of the quality system and organization performance relative to quality goals.
- Ensure that organizational quality systems and requisite training are in place.
- Ensure that documentation and design controls are appropriate for organization and administer document control and configuration management system.
- Participate in the review, negotiation, and execution of quality agreements and/or project terms and conditions.
- Oversee the supplier management program as it relates to quality of sourced goods or services.
- Address nonconformities from internal and external audits.
- Organize and lead internal and external Corrective Action and Preventive Action efforts.
- Perform internal audits.
- Organize, review, and train internal auditors.
- Manage Quality module in the ERP System (Microsoft Dynamics).
- Assist the management team and provide QA support as necessary.
- Develop Quality department operating policies and procedures.
- Manage QA Department Staffing, including but not limited to recruitment, supervision, scheduling, and personnel development and performance evaluation.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift objects up to 25 pounds.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Ability to work on ITAR related product(s)
- Minimum 6 years of work experience, with a minimum of 3 years of management experience. A successful candidate will have a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments and satisfying customers in technology-driven, developing companies.
- Experience with international quality system rules, regulations, including planning and implementation is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field or equivalent work experience.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional communication, teamwork and influencing skills that foster a collaborative and continuous improvement environment.
- Experience of facilitating and training a technical work force.
- Understanding of QA and testing processes, procedures and tools.
- Strong ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and with worldwide entities.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects, activities and tasks under time constraints.
- Understanding of supply chain and logistics preferred.
- Experience with traditional Agile/Lean methodologies.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office product suite, particularly Excel.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Dynamics AX (Axapta) a plus.
This is an onsite position.