Please contact Seth Ansell to apply email@example.com
Motional is a driverless technology company making autonomous vehicles a safe, reliable, and accessible reality.
We are creating first-of-its-kind technology that will transform transportation. To do so successfully, we must design for everyone in our cities and on our roads. We believe in building a great place to work through a progressive, global culture that is diverse, inclusive, and ensures people feel valued at every level of the organization. Diversity helps us to see the world differently; it’s not only good for our business, it’s the right thing to do.
Our team is behind some of the industry's largest leaps forward, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world's first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world's longest-standing public robotaxi fleet. We’re driven to scale; we’re moving towards commercialization of our technology, and we need team members who are ready to embrace change and challenges.
Formed as a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives. Headquartered in Boston, Motional has operations in the U.S and Asia.
Why you should join us:
- Opportunity to contribute across multiple disciplines (sensor hardware, sensor software, Machine Learning).
- Speaking opportunities are encouraged and supported.
Our team is commercializing a world-class driverless system. The Motional team is behind some of the industry’s largest leaps forward in the last decade, including the first fully-autonomous cross-country drive in the U.S, the launch of the world’s first robotaxi pilot, and operation of the world’s most-established public robotaxi fleet. Strategically formed by Hyundai Motor Group and Aptiv, Motional is fundamentally changing how people move through their lives.
We value diversity, equity, and inclusion and provide a supportive work environment that prioritizes collaboration, communication, and creativity. Our team members are committed to delivering high-quality results that make a real difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about the future of autonomous vehicles and want to work with a team of talented and motivated professionals, we encourage you to apply to join our team. Additionally, we offer excellent benefits to include generous medical plans, wellness benefits, unlimited PTO, 401k, and equity, to name a few.
The Motional Pittsburgh office is located in the new Hazelwood Green development, a culmination of the city’s goal of restoring an economic driver to the neighborhood in a thoughtful, inclusive, and sustainable way. With views along the Monongahela River, the Pittsburgh office is in the heart of this new state of the art development.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to convey and detect communication.
- The employee is occasionally required to remain stationary at times for up to 50% of working time, move in designated working areas and operate and use office equipment.
- The employee may occasionally move up to 50 pounds.
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors including but not limited to specific skills, experience and expertise, role location, certifications, licenses, and business needs. The estimated compensation range listed in this job posting reflects base salary only. This role may include additional forms of compensation such as a bonus or company equity. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Candidates for certain positions are eligible to participate in Motional’s benefits program. Motional’s benefits include but are not limited to medical, dental, vision, 401k with a company match, health saving accounts, life insurance, pet insurance, and more.
Our Advanced Technology Team is looking for an experienced Senior Optical Systems Engineer to lead the development of innovative imaging system metrology laboratories.
The Senior Optical Systems Engineer will be responsible for defining, implementing, owning, and automating optical metrology supporting the development, characterization, and calibration of machine vision imaging systems, and establishing “what does this mean” to the AV’s machine learning system.
What you'll be doing:
- Develop a deep understanding of imaging sensor performance as it relates to the Machine Learning system, and AV performance.
- Hands-on owner of the lab, with focus on designing, developing, and selecting instrumentation to test imaging optics, illuminations systems, and electro-optical devices.
- Dive deep into developing and analyzing imaging lens optical and color models.
- Partner with the Autonomy team to develop Machine Learning relevant metrics for the Vision System.
- Primary developer of analysis and automation methods to ensure relevant performance learning is generated.
- Utilize simulation to guide and reinforce experiential learning, and drive insight into “what does this mean”?
- Establish production partnerships with key vendors and OEMs.
- Author reports and file patents.
What we're looking for:
- MS or Bachelor's degree within Engineering (STEM) or a related field of study with 3+ years of experience in optical system design, test, and automation.
- Deep experience in electro-optical system development and performance testing. to include: MTF testers, spectrophotometers, image quality test equipment, measurement microscopes, kinematic position systems, manual and motorized translation stages, test system database integration, general lab automation.
- Experience with machine vision camera design, development, and integration.
- Understands optical system and component design and construction.
- Strong background in simulation and test automation using, Python, MATLAB or C++.
- Strong background in imaging lens design in Zemax, Code V, OSLO, etc., and mechanical CAD software.
- Strong knowledge of statistical analysis and gauge R&R.
- Familiarity with quality control systems, engineering design processes and revision control.
- Familiarity with prototype fabrication techniques such as light machining, 3D printing, soldering, optics cleaning and polishing.
- Proven experience in the development and automation of optical test laboratories
- Proven experience in the development of imaging lens systems.
- Experience reviewing AV & ADAS vehicle logs to understand sensor impairments that challenge the autonomous system performance.
- A background in robotics, particularly self-driving, whether on- or off-road.
- Familiarity with camera calibration.
- Familiarity with Machine Learning systems.
- Expert in Python, C++, MATLAB, JMP, FRED.