Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Provide technical support to manufacturing in the resolution of production problems, introduction of new products, waste reduction and process improvement. Although the location of the position is in Rochester, NY from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Select deposition equipment based on application and mirror coating requirements.
- Specify process requirements, inspect equipment, write specifications, set up equipment, run experiments, collect data, tweak chamber parameters, write up process instructions, and train operators on equipment specifications and processes.
- Own and manage process during process sustainment, ensure all coating equipment consistently performs according to requirements and recommend repairs, upgrades, modifications, or new equipment purchases.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis on chronic product problems and implement corrective/preventive actions.
- Provide guidance and training to other staff members.
- Assist in developing and implementing Quality Management System for coating lab.
- Create and maintain standard operation procedures for all processes. Optimize process run conditions and document.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employees must grasp, manipulate, or assemble parts and components that are often very small. As a result, they should have a steady hand and good hand-eye coordination. Work may be sedentary, could stand or sit for long durations and/or perform repetitious work at times. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. Employees may come in contact with but not limited to acetone and epoxy, and their work cell areas may be noisy at times. Employees entering and leaving the laboratory must wear appropriate clothing and protective equipment such as masks, glasses and gloves.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 7 years of experience of Process Design and Engineering
- Strong experience running Thin Film Deposition Systems
- Strong Experience Maintaining and repairing coating equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Physics or one of the Engineering disciplines.
- Six Sigma certification a plus
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical skills, utilizing effective trouble shooting and problem solving techniques.
- Ability to design AR, UV, IR Coatings
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with co-workers, customers, and suppliers
- Strong work ethic, displaying attention to detail, initiative, adaptability, and integrity; team player, strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Knowledgeable of good housekeeping and safety practices in a clean room environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, and to exercise sound professional judgment