What’s it like to join Team Vortex?
From the production floor to the repair room, from consumer sales to new product development, we’re a growing team of makers and doers, working together to give our customers an experience they’ll never forget. Our employees thrive in situations that require demonstrating our core values:
- About You
- Customer is King
- Willingness to Shovel Snow
- Be the Buffalo
Every Vortex product that leaves our door is covered by our Very Important Promise (VIP) Warranty. The Vortex VIP Warranty simply means, if you ever have a concern, issue or want to order a Vortex product, you will be met with a customer experience that will exceed all expectations! Our promise is unlimited, unconditional and lasts a lifetime. Whether your Vortex role is in Sales, Customer Service, IT, Marketing, Finance, NPD or Operations, every day starts with supporting that promise and PUTTING THE CUSTOMER FIRST!
Do you like applying technology to develop new and novel solutions? Do you have strong passion, experience, and knowledge in laser and detector technology? Do you love utilizing your technical knowledge to push the envelope to provide solutions to real-world applications? If so, we would love to talk to you about joining our team as a Systems Design Engineer.
Vortex Optics is looking for a talented individual to join our New Product Development (NPD) team. Working alongside our project managers & engineers, you will be responsible for developing laser, detector, PCB, electrical components, and systems that integrate with our sport optics products. We are looking for an individual with hands-on development, technical leadership, and support for the development of ranging and thermal sport optic systems. As a Systems Design Engineer, you will be involved with the analysis, design, performance and production of complex laser, detector, and electronic designs.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Conducting research for concept generation, innovation, and development of prototypes for the design of original and/or highly complex laser & optical/mechanical systems, subsystems, processes, and procedures.
- Staying informed of new laser technology, algorithms, and equipment and investigates their potential applications.
- Recommending incorporation of new technology for Company applications where feasible and practical.
- Performing engineering studies on existing & new technology (e.g., laser technology, range detection algorithms, signal processing, etc.).
- Architecting system designs and providing systems engineering guidance for multidisciplinary design teams (optics, mechanics, firmware, electronics) from concept through integration to production-readiness.
- Conducting component & electronics evaluations and selection.
- Translating requirements into system design architecture.
- Providing in-depth technical engineering analysis.
- Performing system build, integration, debugging and testing (hands-on product development).
- Supporting transition from prototypes to production.
- Providing cross functional technical guidance and internal consulting throughout the company.
- Performing technical reviews of opto-mechanical designs. This may include presentations within the technical teams.
- Developing and maintaining strategic relationships with vendors and technology leaders to support the advancement of Vortex’s goals and product development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS or MS in engineering (or math/physics) is required. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- 8-10 years of related experience
- Experience in computer modeling, drivers, algorithms design, prototyping and testing
- Experience with hardware/software systems integration and troubleshooting required
- Experience communicating technical requirements to multi-disciplinary engineering team required
- Optical or electrical engineering background and understanding preferred
- Demonstrated ability of creating and guiding optical designs from concept to production
- Electronic CAD software tools (OrCAD, Altium, or DX Designer)