Ruda-Cardinal, Inc. (RCI) is an expert in the fields of optical and opto-mechanical engineering, specializing in precise and creative solutions to unique and complicated optical challenges.
We produce small, precision optical assemblies as well as large, industrial-scale optical systems. We also specialize in the design and assembly of ruggedized systems that are performance-tested in harsh environments such as those encountered in defense and space applications.
As an employer, RCI fosters a positive, family-friendly environment where personal and professional growth are encouraged and supported.
Ruda-Cardinal, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Legal right to work in the U.S.A. is required and eligibility is confirmed with E-Verify. Ruda-Cardinal, Inc. will not sponsor the candidate for a work visa.
Position Summary: Lead a team that designs, analyzes, and drafts precision opto-mechanical hardware with an emphasis on precision, exactness, and design for assembly.
The applicant will be responsible for leading a team with the following responsibilities and functions. We expect the team leader functions to take approximately 40% of your time, with the remaining 60% of your time consisting of a working engineer.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS of the Team:
- Employ opto-mechanical design techniques to design, layout, analyze, and detail creative and innovative opto-mechanical systems.
- Use engineering expertise and design judgment to evaluate options needed to fit within the project’s constraints of performance, cost, and schedule. Evaluate materials, fit, form, and function.
- Develop and analyze tooling and methods for system assembly, alignment, and testing.
- Create and complete 3D CAD models and 2D detailed drawings using SolidWorks.
- Perform tolerance analyses to numerically support manufacturing precision.
- Perform computer-aided simulation (stress/strain and modal analysis) using SolidWorks Simulation.
- Detail check all finalized work per GD&T.
- Prepare and deliver design review presentations to customers.
- Use established systems and/or create new systems to document, record, and track all designs, drawings, and engineering change orders.
- Develop working, collaborative relationships with subcontractor engineers, as needed. Previous projects have required mechanical analysts and electrical engineers.
- Interface with vendors to design with their capabilities and solve problems during the manufacturing of the design’s mechanical components.
- Interface with customers to best understand project constraints and requirements.
- Collaborate with other RCI engineers and production technicians on all aspects of your work.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
TEAM LEADER FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for assigning tasks to the team members.
- Responsible for assigning the required detail checking the team’s work (including your own).
- Interface with internal RCI personnel (Project Managers, Optical Engineering Team Lead, Production Team Lead, Operations, and Quality) to ensure a smooth hand-off of projects.
- Track personnel loading and inform executive team on personnel needs.
- Represent the department to the executive team as needed.
- The number of team members, and their availability, will vary but is expected to be approximately five.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent engineering analytical skills for solving engineering and design problems.
- Analytical skill and ability to generate a range of solutions and choose the most appropriate.
- Excellent understanding of optics mounting techniques and design approaches.
- Good organization skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Fully competent in SolidWorks.
- Excellent understanding of and advocate for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5.2
- Medical & Dental insurance offered through Cigna. Company pays 90% of total premium.
- Vision, short-term disability, life, and supplemental insurances offered through AFLAC
- Safe Harbor 401(k) – details available upon request
- Sick and personal leave
- Week off between December 25th and January 1st each year
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume & cover letter to email@example.com with “New Application” in the subject line.