Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Photonics Solutions Engineer (PSE), a key technical resource responsible for supporting our sales team in our technical sales activities. The PSE also uses their technical expertise to act as a liaison between our customers and our engineering and manufacturing teams.
Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates as part of a functional team with Field and Inside Sales to provide technical expertise during sales lead qualification and opportunity development.
- Works directly with Thorlabs customers to capture requirements for custom requests, communicate Thorlabs capabilities and technical services.
- Works directly with internal engineering and manufacturing teams to ensure custom solutions are aligned to a customer’s needs.
- Opportunity to travel to tradeshows, customer sites and other Thorlabs global entities.
- In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
No physical demands required to perform duties.
· Ability to work on ITAR-related projects.
· Minimum 2 years' experience with optics and optical systems is required, ~4 years' experience is preferred.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
· Experience in technical sales or applications support is ideal.
- Required: B.S. in optics, physics or engineering related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly organized.
- Intermediate MS Office proficiency: especially Outlook and Excel, Expert proficiency in Excel, ERP/MRP systems or CRM is highly desirable.
- Able to work under time constraints.
- Willing to constantly learn new technologies, new applications, and new developed products.
- Ability to fluently write and speak English.
- Travel for tradeshows or customer visits: <25%.