Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Network Engineer I is responsible for designing, installing, administering, and troubleshooting network equipment throughout the enterprise. This includes LAN, and wireless systems. A Network Engineer I will assume one or many of the Roles detailed below and mentor IT Specialists in support of our customers and end users as applicable.
Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot LAN switches and access points.
- Evaluate Wireless and LAN performance data to ensure sufficient capacity and identify network problems.
- Stay current with the applicable product lines and available technologies, test proof of concept technologies, and make recommendations that will benefit our organization.
- Create and maintain accurate network documentation.
- Enforce all network and security best practices and policies.
- Maintain consistent network builds and standards.
- Analyze network data to determine network usage and bandwidth utilization.
- Perform routine maintenance or standard repairs to networking components or equipment.
- Create or update technical documentation for network installations or changes to existing installations.
- Provide end-user training as required.
- Wireless and LAN network device deployment and lifecycle maintenance.
- Wireless surveys, design, and implementation. Familiarity with Ekahau AI Pro, Sidekick 2, analyzer, and network optimizer.
- Network device deployment and lifecycle maintenance.
- Basic to intermediate-level knowledge of device configurations.
- Maintain consistent, secure, and reliable configurations.
- Maintain and monitor systems and end users' effective and efficient use of LAN and Wireless resources.
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work-related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum of 2 Years of related experience in an enterprise IT environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Technical School Certifications in computer science technologies.
- Certifications a plus+: CCNA, CCNP, Arista ACE.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
· Excellent written, communication, and technical documentation skills.
· Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks; act independently.
Willing to support/work off hours and weekends and travel internationally.
· Willingness and ability to take initiative and the desire to continually take on additional responsibilities.