Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs, Inc. is looking for a talented and motivated individual to join our growing Laser Division team located in the Baltimore/Washington DC area as the Senior Electrical Design Engineer.
Purpose of the Position
The Senior Electrical Design Engineer will be responsible for designing electronic circuits for a variety of Laser Division products. This position will work with a team of engineers, from different disciplines, and across many of our product lines. The design tasks include system-level design, schematic capture, board layout for a range of analog and digital electronic circuits such as temperature, current, position and feedback controllers. The position is also responsible for procuring, testing and debugging the initial prototypes and transfer to manufacturing. In addition to design duties, this position will be responsible for sustaining engineering on the electronic circuits for the released products, including managing the component supply chain and design revisions. The position is expected to work with minimum supervision and to simultaneously handle multiple projects. This role meets with the larger team regularly to report progress and may participate in preparing quarterly updates for the company’s upper management. Although the location of the position is in the Baltimore/Washington DC area, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other Thorlabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Design of analog and digital electronic circuits, including embedded micro-controller designs.
- Simulation and validation testing on analog designs.
- Schematic capture and layout of the designed circuits via Altium CAD tool.
- Prepare fabrication files and bills of materials for the procurement of new design prototypes.
- Validate prototype circuit boards using test equipment, debugging methods, and re-work.
- Manage long-term supply chain issues such as end-of-life or zero-stock components by implementing necessary design changes and revisions.
- Create and support design specifications and documentation requirements.
- Prepare regular reports on project status and progress.
- Release to production of designs, preliminary drafts of build documentation and assembly instructions, managing Engineering Change Orders, Bills of Materials, item creation within Thorlabs’ ERP system.
- Production support, as needed.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Minimum 5 years of experience designing analog and digital circuits for electronic products.
- Experience with the procurement process for PCBs, including the creation of manufacturing drawings and bill of materials.
- Experience with electrical design tools, e.g. Altium.
- Experience in calculating and simulating circuits.
- Experience with embedded micro-controller design.
- Hands-on experience with electronic circuit board testing, including commonly-used test equipment, debugging methods, and re-work
BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good planning, prioritizing and organization and multiple priority management skills.
- Strong drive and initiative to make improvements in a variety of areas with a minimum of supervision.
- Strong commitment to personal development and growth