Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over Approximately 2,300 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
This position is the primary technical resource and customer interface for UFO products. They are responsible for addressing all customer questions that come in via tech-support or direct web-site inquiry. As such, they are expected to gain full understanding of the UFO product line and in doing so, interface with the engineering and production staff. They will also work closely with the Thorlabs global technical support teams to address the full variety of customer requests. This includes advising in product selection, testing product applications, creating custom solutions, arranging loans and demos, and facilitating quotes and RMAs. The position is located in Ann Arbor but will also require travel to other Thorlabs locations from time to time. This person must also have superb ability to interact with and serve technical customers in a prompt and courteous manner.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Provide “first response” technical support for all UFO products
- Perform hands-on product testing in support of customer inquiries
- Use customer data and feedback to contribute products ideas or improvements
- Actively contribute to the design, evaluation, and review of new products
- Be an active participant in any tradeshows that UFO attends
- Organize and facilitate product training for both internal and external needs
- Actively identify and promote OEM opportunities for UFO products
- Coordinate NDA’s, quotes, custom products, loans and RMAs
- Identify customers for targeted sales promotions and onsite visits
- Utilize ERP and CRM tools for all customer interactions
- Collect and analyze customer usage data and applications
- Track performance data of UFO products
- Create support/application documentation for products as needed
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar position, or
- Experience in a photonics laboratory environment (essential)
- Experience in a customer facing position (big plus)
- BS, MS, or PhD in related field or equivalent work experience
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Fundamental desire to serve customers with a great attitude
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multiplex tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills with MS Office, ERP, CRM systems
- Ability to work well in an interactive environment
- Ability to manage many simultaneous customer requests
- Strong problem solving capability