Optical Systems Postdoctoral Scholar - 97339
Organization: AL-Advanced Light Source
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL) Advanced Light Source Division has an opening for an Optical Engineer or Physicist Postdoctoral Scholar to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will report to Dr. Kenneth Goldberg, in the Photon Science Development Group at the ALS division, and Dr. James Holton in MBIB, the incumbent’s work involves the optomechanical design, modeling, and testing for the upgrade of optical systems for x-ray protein crystallography beamlines.
The ALS is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science national scientific user facility whose excellent scientific reputation, expert staff, and capabilities in the soft x-ray, hard x-ray, and infrared regimes attract more than 2,000 academic and industrial users each year in disciplines spanning physical, chemical, materials, biological, energy, and Earth sciences. It is one of five Berkeley Lab user facilities that serve a combined 14,000 users annually. The ALS has been a global leader in soft x-ray science for more than two decades and is currently undergoing a large-scale upgrade (ALS-U) that will endow the facility with state-of-the-art x-ray capabilities. It's an exciting time to join our team!
What You Will Do:
• Develop, deploy, and test optical systems for x-ray beamlines.
• Model and study the performance of optical systems.
• Develop methods to refine and improve the focusing and control of hard x-ray beamlines.
• Develop methods to test beamline mirrors with high accuracy.
• Develop and conduct experiments to assess and optimize beamline performance.
• Document and communicate the results of work in papers that are published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. In addition, internal reports need to be produced to document the advances made in experimental and theoretical work. Give oral presentations, including participation in meetings, reviews, and conferences.
• Maintain current knowledge of and implement Laboratory, Division, and Program Conduct of Operations and Quality Assurance policies and procedures for all job assignments and activities.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
• Develop and test novel data collection and analysis methods.
• Work in strict adherence to environment, safety, and health (ES&H) policies on all experimental operations.
• Be familiar with ES&H policies and practices in your work area which includes knowledge of emergency preparedness plans, use of personal protective equipment, if necessary, and participation in relevant training programs such as Hazards Communication.
• Report any ES&H concerns to your immediate supervisor and have a working knowledge of your Program and Division ES&H committee structure and functions.
For full consideration please apply by December 2nd, 2022.
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
• This is a full-time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=245157 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.