This position is for an individual looking to gain experience in quoting for optical manufacturing. The position supports the custom products offering through preparation of quotes and supporting materials. The Estimator will be responsible for guiding orders from initial request to delivery.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Providing complete quotation to customer RFQ via Sales team.
- Building quotation with necessary information, including feasibility, tiered pricing, lead times (initial & reoccurring), specifications, potential risks/delays, and various options.
- Exhibit a sense of urgency by providing rapid communication to customer and Sales. Employing preliminary information, budgetary quotations, or ‘no bids' to provide quick, yet useful initial response.
- Quoting accurate lead-times and assuring on-time delivery.
- Gather and capture required information from all manufacturing contributors (Production, Quality, Planning, Engineering, etc.)
- Evaluating quote options and making determination with the aid of a Specials Engineer.
- Understanding manufacturing capacity and capability relevant to specials.
- Obtaining quotes from vendors for raw materials, sub-components, and dock to stock.
- Coordinate with Purchaser-Planners to schedule, place orders to achieve stated dates.
- Working with Engineer on items requiring design or unique needs.
- Providing Sales with status updates as orders dictate.
- Develop basic comprehension of technical drawings.
- Understanding and alignment to constantly evolving strategic approach to quoted business.
- Flag orders of defined magnitude for review and input from Specials Manager.
- Support in expediting orders whenever possible or necessary.
- Providing organized detail of quote to Specials Engineer for entry into ERP/PLM/MES (Item, BoM, and route creation; document and note attachment).
- Build quotes that minimize wasteful processes and cost of goods sold, while improving quality and product value.
- Assisting in the support of other Business Units/Entities to satisfy their optics needs (-ICs).
- Providing Specials Engineer with customer source control drawings, specification control drawings, and other applicable specifications to determine requirements and/or feasibility of the product. Communicate with customers to understand and define their needs.
- Develop awareness of export governance and compliance.
- Interact with vendors and purchasers concerning supplied and proposed components.
- Advise supervisor of work status, workload, problems and progress as related to work assignments.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.