We are seeking an optical systems engineer for key roles in the conceptualization, design, and development of optical systems for next-generation 3D printers in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment. Successful candidates will be passionate about optical system design and analysis, 3D printing, building machines, and working on complex problems that involve advanced materials, optics, and systems. Good news: it’s serious fun!
- Work closely across the optics, materials, mechanical engineering, and other cross-functional teams to define, design, model, build, troubleshoot, and test a variety of optical systems for 3D printing
- Perform a wide range of optical engineering tasks at the system and subsystem levels, for example: defining optical system requirements, lens design and tolerancing, optical modeling of imaging and illumination systems, radiometry and throughput calculations, optical alignment, and optical metrology
- Specify optical components, such as lasers, LEDs, lenses, diffusers, filters, cameras, and optomechanical mounts
- Brainstorm new system architectures and converge on feasible optical and opto-mechanical designs
- Build, test, and refine prototypes alongside mechanical engineering team
- Comply with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic with a track record of innovative design work
- 5+ years experience designing and developing optical systems in an industrial setting
- Broad optical design skill set, including experience with light sources, imaging systems, illumination systems, detectors, radiometry/photometry, metrology, and conceptual mechanical design
- Significant hands-on experience with specifying, building, aligning, and testing optical systems
- Experience with optical test equipment and techniques
- Proficient in Zemax, Code V, or other optical ray tracing software for optical design, analysis, and tolerancing
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of team
- Great documentation, experimental design, data analysis, and result recording skills
- MS degree of 10+ years of industry experience in optical engineering, physics, or closely related field
- Experience in working closely with an optomechanical engineer to design and develop optomechanical assemblies
- Experience with design verification and validation, stage gate process, full life cycle product launch
- Experience in design for manufacturability
- Experience in bringing an idea from initial concept to prototype to customer ready product
- Experience in collaborating with external stakeholders
- Experience in calibration methods, statistical methods, and data analysis methods
- Experience in working as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience in coding for instrument control and data analysis using Matlab, Python, C++, or equivalent
- Experience with and strong interest in additive manufacturing
- Advanced knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
- Travel: Occasional travel may be required from time to time
- Location: Charlestown, Massachusetts
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.