Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The Photonics Solutions Engineer is a key technical resource for product and application support to OEM customers. A critical part of the OEM Sales Team, the PSE spends significant time helping the team identify and qualify new leads and opportunities. The PSE spends most of her/his time in a pre-sales support capacity and is often working closely with customer engineering, R&D, and other technical staff to align OEM solutions to customer need. This role has direct interactions with Thorlabs business unit engineering and manufacturing teams as well as OEM customers. The PSE supports outside sales initiatives and will be responsible for maintaining and growing key relationships on customer technical teams.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Works directly with new and existing OEM customers to establish relationship and clearly communicate Thorlabs OEM services.
- Work closely with regional sales managers/engineers to properly qualify customer technical needs and clearly represent Thorlabs manufacturing capabilities.
- Directly supports sales campaigns by identifying products and markets, generating targeted customer lists, and working with technical marketing and OEM inside sales to manage, deploy and follow-up on campaign leads.
- Provide advanced technical support that goes beyond product knowledge and may cover things like product application, manufacturing process, and details of testing and quality control.
- Develops a deep understanding of Thorlabs product portfolio and design/manufacturing capabilities to support the early phases of a customer project.
- May perform testing of catalog or custom components to present technical data to customers in support of new opportunities.
- Collect and analyze data regarding sales and technical campaigns.
- Opportunity to travel to tradeshows, customer sites and other Thorlabs global entities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 2 years' experience with optics and optical systems is required, ~5 years' experience is preferred
- Experience in technical sales or applications support is ideal
- Required: B.S. in optics, physics or engineering related field
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly organized
- Intermediate MS Office proficiency: especially Outlook and Excel, Expert proficiency in Excel, ERP/MRP systems or CRM is highly desirable
- Is able to work under time constraints
- Is willing to constantly learn new technologies, new applications and new developed products
- Ability to fluently write and speak English
- Travel to other entities or tradeshows <10%