Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever-increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs encourages its employees to grow during their time with the organization by providing several benefits. Our benefits include full tuition assistance, internal advancement opportunities, health insurance (Thorlabs pays up to 75%), eye care and dental, 401k, and several wellness programs.
The Technical Sales Manager (TSM) leads the development and growth of Thorlabs (USA) technical sales, solutions, and sales support teams. This role will collaborate with a variety of internal stakeholders including manufacturing, marketing, legal, compliance/quality, to ensure Thorlabs customers receive world class customer service and sales support. To be successful in this role the TSM will need to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and will embrace the concept of team selling with all global sales teams. Working closely with other sales leaders in the organization, the TSM will ensure that our sales process is efficient to ensure that Thorlabs remains the market leader in customer service and support. The TSM will oversee teams that work with Thorlabs industrial, OEM and university customers.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Manage Thorlabs Technical Sales team, including Inside/Outside sales, Solutions, and OEM Project Management
- Support sales teams in negotiations with key OEM, industrial and university customers
- Work closely with Thorlabs Sales Operations Manager to support development of processes, tools and training for Thorlabs technical and key account sales staff
- Coordinate development of workflows across various departments to ensure high quality and timely response to customer requests within the Technical Sales Team
- Leverage cross-functional relationships to advocate for internal support to facilitate custom solution development and OEM customer prioritization within production
- Establish regular communication with Director of Sales and Technical Services to provide updates on team performance and opportunities for improvement.
- Collect metrics related to sales opportunities, technical inquiries, customer projects and team performance and be comfortable sharing and presenting to Thorlabs leadership team as needed
- Represent Thorlabs brand, services and capabilities to Thorlabs customers and external partners
- Travel to visit customers as well as attend tradeshows and visit other Thorlabs offices as required (estimated travel up to 25%)
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar leadership position (technical sales in optics/photonics) is required.
- A Bachelor's degree in Optics, Engineering, Physics or a related field; advanced degree preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent leadership, analysis, facilitation, and client relationship skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Knowledge of Photonics and Laser Technology via work or laboratory experience.
- MS Office Suite; required
- MS Project & MRP/ERP systems; preferred
- CRM experience leading a sales team is required
- Project Management Professional certificate (PMP); preferred