Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer
|Benchmark Electronics, Rochester, MN, United States|
We Bring Our Customer’s Products to Life
Why Benchmark? As a global Fortune 1000 leader in the electronics manufacturing industry with total revenues exceeding $2B, we have more than 11,000 employees in 7 countries on 3 continents. We identify and work with the world’s best original equipment manufacturers to bring their products to life through design, test development, and electronics manufacturing. America’s women and men in uniform count on our technical skills to help ensure our country remains safe and our work is part of many of the commercial aircraft seen crisscrossing the skies. Products we engineer live inside some of the world’s fastest computers and are saving lives every day in hospitals and surgical suites around the globe. The company helps businesses manage their electronics manufacturing production through integrated electronics manufacturing, design and engineering services. Our global footprint of ISO-certified facilities provides a stable and low-risk “launching pad” for the creation and production of advanced electronics-based products. Offering everything from product development to regional PCB build – including system level assembly, and sourcing at competitive prices in the United States, Mexico, South America, Europe and Asia – Benchmark is a world-leading, top-10 EMS company.
We are seeking a senior level mechanical engineer with design experience of opto-mechanical components and systems. This position will perform lead opto-mechanical engineering roles on projects for the development of advanced products, including medical instruments, and other industrial optical / electro-optical systems. Desire 3D CAD skills, such as SolidWorks, and familiarity with optical modeling tools such as Zemax and TracePro. Customer projects are varied, including lens system design, imaging systems, light projection and illumination, flow cytometry, and others.
This position will work on projects end-to-end – from proposal and design, through prototype development and analysis, to product development and manufacturing.
- 4 year Engineering or Technical Degree; Master’s Degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in mechanical engineering, including 3D CAD modeling
- Master of advanced technologies and applications
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills and the ability to make sound technical decisions
- Demonstrate an understanding of various advanced technologies with an area of expertise in at least one of the following areas: optical systems, sheet-metal, plastic parts, castings, electromechanical mechanisms, machined parts and the processes and tooling and technologies used for manufacture
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of mechanism design; Ability to creatively and efficiently design mechanical portions of products, tooling and test fixtures based on various applications and technologies
- Ability to make independent judgments using sound engineering principles and techniques
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of material selection for manufacturing customer products, tooling and test fixtures