Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs, a leading manufacturer of equipment for the photonics industry, is currently seeking applications from experimental scientists with a degree in biophysics, biomedical optics, biomedical engineering, or a related field to join our Technical Marketing Team and craft the technical content that describes Thorlabs’ imaging systems, microscopes, and components as well as details their applications.
The successful candidate will have experience building imaging systems from the ground up, be highly familiar with a wide range of imaging techniques, be able to see linkages between Thorlabs’ product lines, and be able to make recommendations for improvements to our product offering and web functionality. In addition to extensive laboratory experience, the candidate should also have strong writing and presentation skills in English, excellent organizational skills, the ability to work under time constraints, and a desire to learn about new technologies.
Scientific Marketers partner with graphic artists to create marketing collateral. Original product content is written based on information from application specialists, product managers, R&D engineers, and key customers as well as prior knowledge gained from using similar products in the field. Hence, this position requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
The Scientific Marketer, Life Science Specialist position is at our headquarters in Newton, NJ, although travel to Sterling, VA to work with our Imaging Systems team or to other Thorlabs locations may be required a few times per year.
- Works closely with key technical contacts to learn about advanced and cutting edge imaging techniques and produces collateral to describe those techniques and guide customers in performing them
- Leverages extensive product knowledge to identify, implement, and track product presentation enhancements aimed at assisting customers with a buying decision
- Creates marketing collateral to support new product introduction of imaging systems
- Builds application examples that help customers understand how products are utilized within a lab environment
- Guides graphics staff, clearly and effectively communicating desired outcomes to obtain the necessary images, videos, and animations for a successful presentation
- Proposes and implements plans for website reorganization and improvements
- Develops effective content for use at Trade Shows, within advertisements, or for other purposes
- Participates in defining new products and/or product enhancements
- Identifies or invents new web tools and features that improve customers’ experiences when interacting with our website
- Develops, implements, and tracks search engine optimization projects for various product lines
- Additional responsibilities may include participating in and leading marketing projects and attending tradeshows
- Advanced degree in Biophysics, Biomedical Optics, Biomedical Engineering, or a Related Field or equivalent work experience
- Native Language Writing Skills in English
- Extensive Laboratory Experience
- Strong Organizational and Planning Skills
- Ability to Multitask, Be Detail Oriented, and to Solve Problems, All While Under Tight Time Constraints
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.