Providing answers. From the extremes of the rain forests in South America to the harsh conditions of the Antarctic, and to cutting edge research laboratories around the globe, scientists rely on products from LI-COR Biosciences to provide answers to their questions.
LI-COR first introduced scientific instruments for plant science research and quickly grew to provide scientists tools for such diverse disciplines as atmospheric research and the study of how proteins interact at the cellular level.
LI-COR Biosciences is a global leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of high quality, innovative instruments, software, reagents, and integrated systems for plant biology, biotechnology, drug discovery, and environmental research.
This position will work under the guidance of an upper-level Optical Engineer to design and develop world-class instrumentation for LI-COR’s Environmental product line, including laser and wide-band gas analyzers.
Joining the Optical Group of the Engineering Department, this person will join a multi-disciplined, dynamic, concurrent development team of other highly talented engineers, scientists, and technicians to create, design, specify, build, test, and support optical instrumentation systems and subsystems from the component to the instrument level. The candidate will participate in product requirements definition and optical system architecture development and will perform optical design and development, testing, verification, and production support. This position interfaces with many other departments in the company, including Marketing, Application Scientists, Environmental Advanced R&D, Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing, and Technical Support. This position may require travel to support field testing, trade show activities, and customer visits.
- Design, specify, develop, and test optical components, subsystems, and systems, for the development of production instrumentation for both the Environmental and Biotechnology product lines.
- Participate in product requirement definition and optical architecture development.
- Interface with customers and marketing personnel to define product features and functions.
- Interact with both internal and external manufacturers to support new product designs and current product manufacture.
- Design and validate procedures for evaluating the performance of various optical components, subsystems, and systems.
- Develop efficient optical alignment and performance testing procedures and fixtures for manufacturing.
- Direct and/or perform system testing to ensure the product meets specifications and expectations.
- Support the manufacture of both current and future LI-COR products.
- Demonstrated knowledge and creative abilities in the design and specification of optical systems and subsystems from the component level to the system level.
- Demonstrated experience using lasers, including laser diodes, and a thorough understanding of laser physics and related Gaussian beam propagation.
- Demonstrated experience with, and a thorough understanding of optical filtering, including thin film technologies.
- Demonstrated skills using optical modeling software tools such as OSLO and ZEMAX.
- Thorough and strong understanding of optical engineering fundamentals and principles.
- Solid understanding of optical design, component specification, development, testing, and design for manufacturability.
- Self starter and highly motivated. Enjoys challenges. Proven drive to achieve goals.
- High insight, curiosity and problem solving ability. High attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound engineering decisions.
- Good interpersonal and networking skills.
- Team player. Enjoys and works well with other people in a team environment.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, manufacturers.
- Dependable, positive attitude and good attendance.
- High ethics, integrity, honesty, patience.
- Willingness to travel--to trade shows, technical conferences, customer sites. Occasional overnight and some international travel may be required.