Founded in 1989, Thorlabs seeks to accelerate the forward movement of scientific discovery and advancement! As a vertically integrated manufacturer of photonics components, instruments, and systems, our vast product portfolio includes over 20,000 items, ranging from optics and optomechanical positioning components to imaging systems, many of which are customer inspired.
Photonics is the foremost technology driving innovation in science and engineering. As the number of technological innovations has grown, Thorlabs has extended its core competencies in an effort to play an ever increasing role serving the Photonics Industry at the research end, as well as the industrial, life science, medical, and defense segments.
Headquartered in Newton, NJ, Thorlabs has grown to over 1800 employees with manufacturing and sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Japan, China, and Brazil. As light-based technologies push into new markets, Thorlabs plans to enter early with the products and services required to ensure the ultimate success of our customers.
Thorlabs is seeking a dynamic individual as an electronic design engineer. The selected candidate will be responsible for providing creative solutions to a wide range of technical problems in the areas of electronics development in our laser product line. He/she will work with a team of engineers focusing on product development in the field of controllers and electrical systems, such as temperature, position and feedback controllers. The successful candidate is expected to work with a minimum of supervision in a fast paced environment and to simultaneously handle multiple projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Design, Analysis and Test of analog, low noise, high frequency electronics
- Mixed Signal board layout experience
- Evaluate and document test results. Develop procedures for production of designs
- Provide general hands-on experience prototyping and manufacturing support
- Develop, monitor and maintain product development schedules
- Create and support design specifications and documentation requirements
- Experience with electrical design tools, e.g. Altium is a must
- Experience with soldering, designing and modifying prototype boards is a must
- Ability to calculate/simulate circuits
- Lab Skills such as Spectrum Analyzer, Signal Generator
- Debug and troubleshooting of hardware in the lab
- Language Skills
- Good communication skills
- Able to write effectively and develop presentations for training or developing and incorporating solutions in line with changing technologies
Education and/or Experience
- M Eng Sc with 3 years or BS with minimum of 5 years of experience
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience in analog circuit design
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.