The purpose of this position is to provide technical support on optical design, optical simulation and performance characterization while working with cross-functionally with other teams to create excellent ophthalmic product solutions. This position investigates and evaluates existing technology and design new methodology, materials, machines or processes as needed for medical device development.
- The incumbent is required to carry out extensive research in optical design and optical metrology, primarily in accommodative and refractive correction research areas.
- The responsibility typically involves designing proprietary optics optimized for human vision and providing reliable optical metrology for performance inspection.
- The incumbent will play a key role in multidisciplinary teams consisting of members from Optics, Ophthalmology, Materials Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, seeking to restore vision and accommodation in cataract and presbyopic patients
- Internal interaction requires interpretation of complex information and external interaction requires exchange of factual information.
- Uses previous experience to identify the most appropriate option to adapt or improve existing approaches.
- Interprets information to make decisions impacting own scope of work.
- May lead design reviews and review action items.
- Acts as a mentor to lower level professionals. Operates within clear guidelines with regard to how to handle decisions outside direct experience. Issues arising outside guidelines or operating procedures normally escalated for resolution.
- Under general supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for planning, conducting and executing IOL(Intraocular Lens)-related research and development.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an email to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Equal Employment Opportunity Posters: If you’d like to view a copy of the Alcon’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent years of directly related experience (or high school +13 yrs; Assoc.+9 yrs; M.S.+2 yrs; PhD+0 yrs)
- The ability to fluently read, write, understand and communicate in English
- 5 Years of Relevant Experience
- Experience with optical design, optical engineering and optical software like Zemax or Code V are required.
- Candidates with an advanced degree in Optics, Optical Engineering, Physics or a related engineering field will be given preference.