VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) has a 90+ year history of technical innovations that have evolved to keep pace and address our customer’s most pressing business issues. We make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centers. VIAVI is also a leader in high performance thin film optical coatings and engineered diffusers, providing light management solutions to anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, automotive, defense and instrumentation markets.
We are the people behind the products that help keep the world connected – at home, school, work, at play, and everywhere in between. VIAVI employees are fierce about supporting customer success and we welcome people who bring their best every day to the company - to question, to collaborate and to push for solutions that will delight our customers.
Senior Optical Scientist/Engineer
VIAVI Solutions is seeking a motivated and creative Senior Optical Scientist/Engineer to design and fabricate optical beam-shaping components and novel testing/metrology systems for characterizing optical beam-shaping products. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of the fundamentals of physical optics, electromagnetic theory, electromagnetic wave propagation, and diffraction, and has experience designing and building custom optical components and systems. The successful candidate will interact closely with the Director of R&D and various other functional leaders within the company as well as with external customers.
This position is located in Rochester, NY. VIAVI’s Rochester facility designs and manufactures light diffuser products for applications in 3D sensing, micro-refractive and diffractive optics for consumer electronics, government, healthcare, and automotive markets.
The roles of the Senior Optical Scientist/Engineer will include:
- Develop deep technical understanding of customers’ requirements for illumination optics and other optical beam-shaping applications.
- Work with customers to develop custom optical components and systems, including new testing and metrology approaches that are acceptable to the customer and accurately characterize the important attributes of products while at the same time being practical and cost-effective.
Optical System Specification, Design, Assembly, and Integration
- Knowledgeable and keeps up to date with current state-of-the-art in optical beam shaping methods, components and systems, especially as it applies to sensor products for the consumer electronics, automotive, medical and defense markets.
- Demonstrated ability to design and apply novel optical components and systems in the development of new products, particularly in the area of 3D sensing and imaging systems.
- Create optical metrology and test system specifications that meet customer and company requirements.
- Translate metrology requirements into practical optical system designs.
- Source components for designs such as light sources, detectors, imagers, lenses, etc. which may be integrated into partially- or highly- automated systems.
- Assemble and integrate components into functional optical systems.
- Test and verify performance of new optical systems.
- Internal leader of multi-disciplinary teams for optical component and system development projects.
- Plan projects and develop schedules and budgets for optical metrology systems.
- Coordinate resources as needed to ensure completion of projects to schedule and within budget.
- Regularly communicate progress with internal teams and external customers.
- Close coordination with Viavi quality team and customers’ quality teams to ensure tools are designed, built, tested, and verified to be in compliance with appropriate Quality Systems.
- S. or Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in Optical Systems Scientist/Engineering role.
- Experience in the design and develop of novel optical components and systems.
- Experience developing optical metrology systems for the test and measurement of optical components, including design, component sourcing, assembly, integration, automation, and test.
- Experience modeling and developing optical systems using optical design software such as Zemax, CodeV, ASAP, or LightTools.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strongly motivated and inquisitive individual.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Computer programming skills, preferably MATLAB.
- Proficient with MS Office tools – Excel/Office.
- This position may require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. Person as a U.S. Citizen or National, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, Refugee, or Temporary Resident granted amnesty.
If you have what it takes to push boundaries and seize opportunities, apply to join our team today.
VIAVI Solutions is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.