At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
Coherent is one of the world’s leading suppliers of laser and laser-based solutions to a broad range of commercial and scientific research customers - designing, manufacturing and marketing lasers, laser-based systems, and related accessories for a diverse group of customers and markets. Since 1966, Coherent has expanded through a combination of internal growth and the strategic acquisition of related companies.
With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent is home to the most talented professionals in the industry. Join the brightest and largest team in the business to help continually take Coherent laser solutions into future generations.
The Defense R&D and Manufacturing group has a need for a Product Design Engineer to support the development of our high power fiber amplifiers and associated products. This is a fast-paced, highly technical, and continually evolving product line with a rapid transition from R&D to production. We are looking for an energetic and self-motivated engineer to lead efforts ranging from product definition and planning through production and release. This job requires an understanding of complex optical, mechanical, and electrical systems.
- Interface with highly technical customers and the internal sales team to understand customer needs
- Translate customer needs into actionable, cost-effective solutions
- Lead cross-functional engineering teams to design and prove new product ideas
- Work with technicians to develop first prototypes and execute extensive testing
- Troubleshoot and provide root cause failure analysis for prototype units through the development process
- Coordinate with Manufacturing Engineering to create work instructions and transfer products to production
- Support manufacturing with trouble-shooting and process refinements as needed
- Provide on-site assistance to customers for product or systems issues
- Communicate progress to management and internal stake holders
- Develop and maintain timelines
- Handle multiple products and projects
- Promote investigation and application of new technologies and industry trends to product management activities
- Ensure that products shipped meet specifications and quality goals
- Ensure a safe work environment and cultivate safe behaviors
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical or Electrical Engineering, Physics or related technical area. Graduate degree preferred
- Five (5) or more years of experience in an R&D environment with hands on experience in fabrication and test of high power fiber lasers preferred
- Manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and excel in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills
- Must be eligible to obtain an active US Security Clearance
- Must be a U.S. citizen
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.