At Coherent, Inc., we have harnessed the power of light to become the world's leading independent designer, manufacturer and supplier of high-powered precision electro-optical components and laser-based solutions for medical, scientific and commercial applications. And although that alone is impressive, what truly makes Coherent, Inc. unique is our work environment. It's a strong, stable work environment that values the individual and places a premium on teamwork. Couple that with tremendous growth potential and the only thing that'll will be growing faster than Coherent will be your career. With an incredible range of innovative medical, scientific and commercial lasers, Coherent, Inc. is home to the most talented professionals in the laser and optical industry. Come learn more about us. We're searching for others like ourselves to join the brightest team in the business.
Coherent Inc. is currently hiring a Senior Manufacturing Engineering Manager to work in our SOF Business Unit located in Salem, NH. The Manufacturing Engineer Manager will develop, evaluate and improve manufacturing methods and processes for the purpose of sustaining the manufacture of existing Laser products as well as the introduction of new products. Coherent is looking for a candidate with 5+ years of hands-on sustaining engineering experience.
Manager: Receives assignments in the form of objectives and establishes goals to meet objectives. Provides guidance to subordinates to achieve goals in accordance with established policies. Work is reviewed and measured based on meeting objectives and schedules. Establishes and recommends changes to policies which affect subordinate organization(s). Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve goals results in additional costs and personnel, and serious delays in overall schedules. Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, customers and/or functional peer group managers. May interact with senior management. Interactions normally involve matters between functional areas, other company divisions or units, or customers and the company. Manages, through subordinate supervisors, the coordination of activities of a section or department with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and employees. In some instances this manager may be responsible for a functional area and may not have subordinate employees.
Oversees the planning, development, implementation and maintenance of manufacturing methods, processes and operations for new and existing products. Ensures the effective use of materials, equipment and personnel in producing quality products at minimum costs. Acts as liaison with engineering in releasing new products. Develops systems to maintain reports and record keeping of company products. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Other responsibilities include:
- The Manufacturing Engineer Manager will provide technical support for the production line including clean-room, sub-assembly, optical build, and laser final test areas
- Maintain the quality, reliability, and cycle time standards of the current laser build process
- Continuously improve current production methods using knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling, production equipment capabilities, quality control standards, and warranty metrics
- Take responsibility for electronic travelers, assembly and process methods, and bills of materials
- Work with quality, reliability, and supply chain teams to improve product performance
- Implement corrective actions for problems reported by our customers
- Participate in transferring new products from R&D into production following project management strategies (Cadence principles, and MS project)
Education and Work Experience
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- BS in Applied Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other relevant Physical Science majors or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- 5+ years of hands-on Manufacturing Engineering experience with medical assemblies, diode-pumped solid-state lasers, diode-pumped fiber lasers and/or high-power harmonic conversion
- Must be a US Citizen or Green Card holder (position is ITAR regulated).
- Very good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Lean Manufacturing background with Applied Knowledge
- Demonstrated Capability working with standard problem solving techniques like 6 SIGMA
- Excellent MS Office product skills
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with team members to complete tasks in timely manner.
- Passionate about lasers and producing best performing Laser products.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of Product Data Management (PDM) software used to manage BOMs and documented manufacturing processes through an ECO work-flow. (e.g. Agile PDM)
- Self-motivated, hard-working, goal oriented, task focused, and a reliable team player.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.