Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (Boston metro area) is a premier designer, manufacturer, and seller of Quantum Cascade Laser-based spectrometers for the detection and identification of gases, liquids and solids. Block's products have won two Prism awards, and are used to protect people and facilities against chemical threats.
Block is seeking a Lead Inside Sales Engineer to lead inside sales engineering efforts for Block's laser and safety/security (chemical detection) product lines. This position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail, and a problem-solving orientation.
Please note that we are open to recent graduates who have some experience with customer support, technical support, or sales.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead all inside sales engineering efforts for Block's quantum cascade laser and laser-based spectrometer products.
- Serve as a liasion for Block's network of international distributors.
- Manage the company's CRM system.
- Help with the development of marketing materials, including product sheets and technical website content.
- Manage all trade shows, including demo activities for such shows. As needed, attend shows and assist with customer interaction.
- Lead training of customers, distributors, and regional sales managers at the company's facilities.
- Follow up regularly on quotes in order to close sales.
- Respond to customer requests regarding product technical issues and returns. Direct the inquiries to the engineering or manufacturing departments as needed.
- Provide customer product demos both at Block and occasionally at customer locations.
- Ensure demo systems have proper documentation for export and re-import for all sales demos.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or other science or engineering discipline. Graduate degree is a plus.
- Skill in seeing inquiries through to a completed sale, including follow-up with customers.
- Excellent organizational skills, planning and commitment to schedules.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle customer inquiries from a very diverse customer base (field service technicians, scientists, and other users).
- Experience (academic or otherwise) with laser-based products, chemical analysis systems, spectroscopy products, or other optical systems would be a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce.com or a similar CRM system would be helpful.
- Strong computer skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, as well as general web-search proficiency for accessing customers' sites, conferences and trade shows.
- Willing to learn new technical skills to support customers, including working with Engineering to provide remote technical troubleshooting, if needed.
- Familiarity with international shipping documents (ATA Carnets) and US Govt. Export Control regulations (EAR and ITAR) would be a plus.