Mechanical Design Engineer - Global Service Support
|KLA, Milpitas, CA, United States|
Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA-Tencor, we're making technology advancements that are bigger—and tinier—than the world has ever seen.
Who are we? We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips—the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own—faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer?
Group / Division
The Global Service Support Organization (GSS) team headquartered in Milpitas, CA is our service organization that consists of Service Sales and Marketing, Spares Supply Chain management, Field Operations, Product Training, and Technical Support. The GSS organization partners with our field teams and customers in all business sectors to maintain the high performance and productivity of our products through a flexible portfolio of services. Our comprehensive services include: proactive management of tools to identify and improve performance; expertise in optics, image processing and motion control with worldwide service engineers, 24/7 technical support teams and knowledge management systems; and an extensive parts network to ensure worldwide availability of parts.
In GSS engineering, we are working on making design changes or creating new designs for existing tools and platforms to deliver performance improvements, improve reliability, or deliver design changes that improve customer experience. As part of these engineering designs, we need strong mechanical engineering support through mechanical design that covers both subsystems and subsystem-tool interface. In this role successful candidates will be responsible for:
- Understanding system and subsystem requirements. Making sure that requirements are clear and agreed upon
- Performing feasibility studies and proof of concepts if necessary including rapid prototyping
- Performing concept and detailed designs using 3D modeling standard software packages (ProE, etc.)
- Understanding cost, schedule, and scope with trade-offs when necessary
- Modeling of vibrations, heat transfer, airflow, and other attributes that might impact system performance
- Holding design reviews and securing buy-in from stakeholders and matter experts
- Procuring parts
- Assembly, testing, and documentation
- Release process according to KLA's standard processes
- Contributing to system-level discussions including impact on overall system performance. Help with troubleshooting and resolving issues and escalations both at subsystem and system levels
At KLA we value team effort and productivity through collaborations. Successful candidate is expected to discuss and understand points of views of other engineers and stakeholders. Designs are expected to be accepted by manufacturing and service groups. Design changes start by understanding the current designs and understanding the pros and cons of different design options and the involved tradeoffs. Attention to failure modes and what can go wrong is very important and successful candidate is expected also in helping in developing FMECA models.
- Well-rounded solid understanding and demonstrated track record of practice of mechanical engineering principles and fundamentals including design, materials, fabrication, and integration and testing
- Must be proficient with CAD (ProE, Cryo, etc)
- Thermal, vibrational, and airflow modeling through finite element methods are highly desirable
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Doctorate (Academic) OR
- Master's Level Degree with at least 2 years of experience OR
- Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 3 years of experience OR
- Equivalent combination of Education and Experience.
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.