AMO Physicist - Postdoctoral Appointee
|Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, United States|
We exploit science and technology at the nano and micro scales to enable advances in systems for national security. Our engagement is with a broad spectrum of technologies and a diverse field of customers with a successful record of maturing technology from concept to laboratory demo to prototype. The department consists of teams that lead the development and understanding of quantum effects associated with silicon electronic devices, atomic and molecular gases, and trapped electrons, atoms and ions. Most significantly, with a strong presence in the Microsystems Engineering Science and Applications (MESA) facility and the Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT) and working broadly with other Sandia and external organizations, we fabricate electronic structures and devices that use these effects to achieve new levels of performance at the integrated system level. Core technology areas in the department include nanofabrication of silicon devices; electromagnetic modeling; and ion trap and solid-state quantum information science and technology.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide.
- Extraordinary co-workers.
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world.
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities.
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solild work/life balance.*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to be an exceptional AMO Physicist on our diverse team. You will perform research and development activities related to micro fabricated/chip-based devices and their application to quantum sensing and quantum information. You will work with a team of physicists and microfabrication engineers to research and develop new sensors and micro-devices based on AMO physics. Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, a combination of device design, theory and simulation, fabrication, and laboratory experimentation and testing of devices that utilize the physics of atomic, molecular, and/or optical phenomena. You will possess a strong background in both experimental and theoretical atomic physics.
The Postdoctoral Appointee Program is designed to recruit extraordinary Ph.D. applicants to assist a line orginzation in meeting its mission objectives and to provide a professional technical work environment for you. Your Ph.D. will need to have been conferred within five years prior to employment. The initial term of employment is up to one year, and may be extended, at management's discretion, for up to five additional years.
Qualifications We Require
- You have a Ph.D. in experimental AMO physics or electrical engineering, or closely related discipline.
- You possess experimental experience with ion trapping, neutral atom trapping, atomic vapor cell devices, cryogenic systems, and/or quantum information science, including work in at least two of these technology areas within the last two years.
- You have experience with lasers and/or vacuum chamber construction.
- Your background includes experience with developing experimental control systems, including designing custom eletronics and software (e.g., MATLAB, LabView, Python, or TensorFlow).
- You have an established authorship and innovation records, such as peer-reviewed scholarly articles, issued patents, or technical books. A minimum of two first-author or co-authored peer-reviewed articles.
- You can obtain a DOE Q security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
- A track record of successful execution of research-and-development projects, including project planning, defining landmarks, and delivering results on time.
- Experience in commercial product development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with data analysis using tools such as MATLAB, R, or Python.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills for working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail.