Integrated Photonic Researcher/Optical Engineer (Experienced)
|Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, United States|
The Photonics and Phononics Microsystems Department develops and matures state of the art photonic and phononic technologies for a variety of national security purposes. Our team of interdisciplinary researchers innovates, develops, and applies novel technologies including silicon photonics, nanophotonics, optomechanics, metamaterials, plasmonics, optical detectors, guided wave optics, phononic and thermoelectric technologies, spanning fundamental research and path-finding engineering solutions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide.
- Extraordinary co-workers.
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world.
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities.
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solild work/life balance.*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Are you passionate about your work? Do you dream of working in state-of-the-art facilities with safety and security culture? Do you want to join a diverse team that serves an organization that supports our national security?
We are seeking an Integrated Photonic Researcher/R&D S&E, Optical Engineer to join our dynamic team in 5265, the Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform cutting-edge research in silicon photonics in simulation, design, and experimental characterization of devices.
- Direct post-docs, students, and staff members to achieve milestones and deliverables. Give presentations on program outputs.
- Work in a team setting to propose new research programs, and work with sponsors, management, and other stake holders to obtain funding.
- Report research results in top-tier journals and conferences.
- Generate new intellectual property through patent filing as applicable.
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor's and Master's degree in STEM or relevant discipline.
- Experience in the design and test of optical systems, optical materials or devices, or photonics microsystems.
- Experience in developing or using software for device performance simulations using, for example, COMSOL, Matlab/Simulink, FDTD codes, etc.
- Experience performing original research, demonstrated through a record of invention, original publications in top-tier journals, and conference papers and presentations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q security clearance.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Science, Physics, or other related STEM technical discipline.
- Minimum of seven years post-graduate experience in integrated optics or optical communications.
- Demonstrated expertise in integrated photonics (in particular, silicon photonics) simulation, design, and testing.
- Experience in high-speed characterization of devices, electrical probe stations, operation of high-speed and high-frequency test equipment, such as bit error rate test equipment, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and high-speed oscilloscopes. Additional experience automating characterization experiments is a plus.
- Experience interfacing electrical components to optical microsystems; examples are modulator drivers, transimpedance amplifiers, and electronic control circuits.
- Knowledge of semiconductor physics, optical materials, nonlinear optics, and/or related topics.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment and flexibilty to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated project leadership including reporting, budgeting, directing others, and meeting milestones and deliverables.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Active DOE Q Clearance.