Quartus Engineering Incorporated (www.quartus.com) is a leading provider of mechanical, optical, aerospace and electrical engineering services and integrated hardware solutions for the aerospace, defense, entertainment, commercial, consumer, and medical industries. We support our clients with advanced mechanical, optical, aerospace and electrical design, analysis, optimization, test, prototype development, and manufacturing using modern CAD and CAE tools and leveraging our clean room laboratories.
We are looking for Optical Engineer in our San Diego, CA office to join our growing team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design, develop and analyze optical systems by applying principles in optics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science.
- Design components and systems for both short-term and long term solutions for customer applications.
- Provide tolerance analysis and recommendations for tolerances required for system performance.
- Analyze problems and design custom solutions on a project by project basis.
- Provide reports in PowerPoint or word describing in detail the problem, design space, solutions, and limitations of a design.
- Build test stations for evaluating system performances in a hands-on cleanroom environment.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by consistently educating oneself in areas of science necessary for completing the projects and tasks at hand.
- Work both independently and as a team to complete projects.
- Educate other team members and engineers in optical science and other fundamental physics principles to build the technical capability of the company as a whole.
- BS and/or MS in Optical Engineer or similar Engineering field and/or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in optical design and analysis using optical cad software (e.g. Zemax).
- Experience with alignment and optical components for system integration, metrology, testing, etc.
- Strong understanding of fundamental optical physics (imaging optics, non-imaging optics, fourier optics, diffractive optics, etc.).
- Hands-on experience with optomechanical mechanical assemblies and alignment processes.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to articulate a fundamental understanding of an optical system to non-optical engineers.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment where projects change on a yearly to semi-yearly basis.
- Contributes to the overall success and quality of Quartus services.
- Documents work using Microsoft Word or PowerPoint.
- Must be eligible to obtain US government security clearance
- Successful candidates must be positive team players who are committed to excellence
- Must be able to communicate effectively -- in written and verbal format
- Must be able to take direction for job functions
- Must be willing to learn new skills, software packages and general engineering knowledge
- Must be able to manage own schedule and technical work product
Quartus provides comprehensive benefits including competitive salary, discretionary performance-based bonus, employee stock ownership plan, medical, dental, vision, and 401k plan with company match. Quartus is an equal opportunity employer.