Develop, qualify and implement semiconductor lasers fabrication processes , process characterization techniques, and process equipment capabilities to support the development and manufacturing of high performance, state-of-the-art semiconductor lasers and detectors. Interface with process development suppliers, define DOEs and execute. Document specification and processes. Make process equipment recommendation to enhance and extend fabrication processes, and process characterization capabilities. Work hand to hand with technicians and engineers to use test data to improve process quality and yield. Understand SPC charts/data.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on person required, working in clean room 60-80% of the time, should be comfortable with equipment and their limitation, interact easily with technician, operators and facilities personel.
- Formulate and execute DOEs for process development/process optimization
- Collect and analyse data to provide conclusion and path forward.
- Interface with process development suppliers
- Qualify and document new processes
- Initiate and design masks as necessary for new device geometries
- Qualify processed wafers for engineering and new product development programs
- Develop plans to improve VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) processes
- Monitor engineering process lots through the entire fabrication process and maintain/analyze process metrology data (ellipsometry, transmittance and reflectance spectroscopy, thickness and CD profilometry, stress measurements, four-point probe) to ensure wafers are processed to desired specifications
- Perform wafer characterization of engineering lots using optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, EDX
- Analyze and correlate process data and device performance
- Transfer new processes to the manufacturing team - train operators/technicians in new processes
- Support teams to trouble-shoot and solve process issues in the areas of photolithography, dry and wet etch, metalization, lap & polish, PECVD, dicing and cleaving, facet coating
- Participate in Engineering team meetings, Program Status meetings and Design Review meetings as necessary
- Participate in technical conferences/workshops
Ph.D. in Physics, Material Science, Engineering Physics, Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 2 years of post-doctoral industrial experience in development of wafer fabrication processes in opto-electronic semiconductor manufacturing or M.S. degree with minimum of 5 years experience
Experience with laser diode or VCSEL (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) design, manufacturing and processes is a plus.
Familiarity with photolithography, wet etch processing, dry etch (RIE, ICP) processes, thin film deposition (e-beam evaporation, sputter deposition, ion beam deposition, PECVD, electroplating) with strong hands-on knowledge in two or more areas; knowledge of semiconductor characterization tools and analytical techniques and hands-on experience with ellipsometry, spectrophotometry, profilometry, optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, EDX
Demonstrated experience with formulating and implementing process DOEs. Knowledge of SPC. Good trouble-shooting and problem solving skills Must be detail oriented and possess good data analysis skills. Experience with minitab, matlab an asset. Clear verbal and written communication skills and ability to work in a team environment and multi-tasking required. Must be able to work in class 1000 clean room 60-80% of the time, wear clean room attire for extended periods of time, work with various chemicals, wear protective gear when working with chemicals.